Patty Pan Squash Creamy Casserole
The farmers market is full of goodies this time of year. Patty pan squash is one of the fun vegetables to try. This dish is best made in the oven and use only the fresh herbs and ingredients to make this a super tasting dish!
- 4-5 large patty pan squash can substitute yellow squash
- 1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 T. unsalted butter, sliced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh mozzarella – (thin slices or chunks) to place on top after taking out of oven
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Butter a shallow baking dish. Place one layer of squash slices in the bottom. Sprinkle with some of the garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper , parmesan cheese. Make another layer of squash, sprinkle with a little garlic, chives, parsley, salt, and pepper, parmesan cheese. Continue until all the squash, garlic, chives and parsley are used up. Pour the cream and half and half over the top, sprinkle the dried tomatoes on top. Place the slices of butter across the top and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the cream is bubbling and the top is golden brown. Take out of oven and cover with thinly sliced fresh mozzarella, sprinkle with fresh parsley.