White Bean Salad
This could not be a simpler salad. Fresh tomatoes are best in season, but you can purchase this time of year or skip them.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- Salt and pepper
- 3 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and garlic in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add 2 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to simmer. Remove from heat, add beans, cover, and let sit for 20 minutes. Combine vinegar and shallot in large bowl and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Drain beans and discard garlic. Add beans, remaining oil, tomatoes, basil, and olives to shallot mixture, and toss until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let sit for 20 minutes. Serve.