- 4 nice sized potatoes of your choice (red is good!)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup prechopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth-more if you cook potatoes in the broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bacon slices, halved and precook
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions
- fresh flat leaf parsley
1. Cook potatoes in chicken broth or water until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly.
2. Cook bacon in skillet, then drain on paper towel. Wipe out skillet with paper towel before using in next step.
3. While potatoes are still cooking, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk; add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; stir often. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
4. Discard potato skins. Coarsely mash potatoes into soup. Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon and fresh parsley.