Garbanzo Beans with Spelt
from Culinate with my changes
I use the canned beans as it is so fast and you can make it minutes. Spelt berries can be purchased at The Lamb Shoppe, Hutchinson 320-587-6
|1||cup spelt berries|
|3||cups cooked garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained|
|1||bunch of green onions, whites and light greens thinly sliced|
|1||large jalapeño chile, seeds and veins removed, minced|
|1||cup lightly packed fresh flat leaf parsley chopped|
|1||red bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, chopped|
|2||Tbsp. apple-cider vinegar|
|3||Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice|
|2||medium garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced|
|¾||tsp. ground cumin|
|~||Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|⅓||cup extra-virgin olive oil|
|5 to 6||cups loosely packed baby spinach, arugula, or mixed greens, washed and dried|
|5||oz. feta cheese, or gorgonzola cheese, drained and crumbled|
- Cook the spelt berries: Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the spelt berries, return to a simmer, and cook about 1 hour (with a lid mostly covering the pot) until the berries are tender (still chewy but not squeaky). Drain and cool.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, combine the spelt berries, garbanzo beans, green onion, jalapeño, parsley, and chopped red pepper. Set aside.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, leomon juice, garlic, cumin, a big pinch of salt, and a grinding of black pepper. Whisk until the ingredients are blended, then add the oil, slowly, whisking all the while, until the dressing begins to emulsify and all the oil is incorporated. Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Chill the salad: Pour the dressing over the spelt-and-garbanzo mixture, tossing until all the ingredients are evenly coated with dressing. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to chill and allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve the salad: Stir the salad before serving to evenly redistribute the dressing. Serve over a bed of greens, topped with crumbled feta cheese.