Mothers Day is next weekend but I wanted to test this recipe before that. You can make it for next weekend and enjoy the tastes of spring!
The citrus flavors brighten this up. Cake flour really works the best, it is lighter.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cake flour, (not self rising)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon orange juice. fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoons (additional as needed) fresh orange juice
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Strips of orange peel, julienned, for garnish
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of the sugar with cake flour; sift onto a piece of waxed paper.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup of the sugar 3 minutes. Beat in orange juice, zest, and extract.
- Thoroughly clean beaters. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites, lemon juice, and salt until foamy and beginning to hold their shape. Increase speed to medium-high; beat in the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat until soft, glossy peaks form. Quickly beat in vanilla. Sift one third of flour mixture over beaten whites; gently fold in with a large rubber spatula, just until blended. Repeat 2 more times with the remaining flour mixture. Gently scrape half the batter into another large bowl. Gently fold in egg yolk mixture, just until blended.
- Using a large spoon, alternately spoon batters into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom; swirl batters slightly with a thin knife.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until cake is firm in center when gently pressed. Immediately invert center tube of pan onto the neck of a bottle; cool completely. To loosen, run a knife around sides of pan and tube. Invert cake to unmold onto a serving plate.
- Glaze: In a bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of the orange juice, orange zest, and 1/2 cup of the confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Beat in the remaining 2 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, half at a time. Add more orange juice as needed to make a thick glaze. Beat until smooth. Spread glaze over cake. Let stand until set; garnish with orange peel edible flowers.