Wheat Berries may be something most of you may not have tried. Eating with wheat berries can be fun and also tasty. Wheat berries are grains of wheat that are the whole kernels without an outer shell. Store in a container in a cool, dark, cool area. Always rinse the berries to remove any debris and to make sure their outer shells are not attached.
It is also recommended to soak wheat berries overnight before they are cooked.
* 1 1/2 cups hard wheat berries
* 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
* 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
* 1/2 cup tart dried cherries, chopped
* 1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
* 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves or fresh spinach leaves
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot combine the wheat berries and enough water to come 2 inches over the wheat berries. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain and let cool. Toast the walnuts in a medium dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, walnuts, celery, dried cherries, scallions, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Excellent source of fiber, vitamin k, manganese and also contains protein, vitamin A & C, copper, iron