Brussel Sprouts Gratin
With Thanksgiving really close I wanted to try a recipe that would incorporate a good vegetable. I found this recipe on line and had to try it. It is very tasty, why not try it on your table soon? I cannot wait to make it in the summer with my garden sprouts.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the dish
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts,outer leaves and stems removed (you can also use frozen)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated white cheddar cheese ( used a sharp white cheddar)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I made my own and added some parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper before I baked them. After they were baked I crushed in the food processor)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and butter a 2-quart baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Drain the Brussels sprouts and coarsely chop. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and toss with the red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste, then spread out evenly. Pour the cream on top, sprinkle with the cheese and breadcrumbs and dot with the butter pieces.
Bake the gratin until bubbly and golden brown, about 15 minutes.